Monday, February 13, 2012

Nicki Minaj and . . . the Pope?


                        http://www.theboombox.com/2012/02/12/nicki-minaj-grammys-2012-red-robe-pope/

I will willingly admit that I have a hankering for those gaudy celebrity magazines and televisions shows during the awards seasons.  I eat it up---who wore an $18,000 Armani suit and who fell in their Christian Louboutin heels, it’s a bit of an addiction.  

But as I watched the stars fawn over the cameras on the red carpet just before the Grammy’s, one celeb’s entrance baffled me.  Musician, Nicki Minaj arrived wearing a long, hooded, red caped Versace gown.  The Little Red Riding Hood getup was shocking on it’s own, but everyone is talking about her date: a man dressed up as the Pope!  

What does it mean?  I’m still trying to sort out what she was trying to convey by attending the Grammy’s with an imposter of the leader of the Catholic Church.  Clearly, she was utilizing visual rhetoric to say…something. 

The most agreed upon statement was that her entrance was “the egg moment of 2012,” comparing it to the awards show that Lady Gaga showed up to, incubating in a giant egg.  Maybe Nicki Minaj was simply showing up Lady Gaga?  Perhaps it’s the crazier the outfit (and entourage) the wilder the statement?

No one knows what exactly that statement is, but we can all agree that people will be talking about until next year’s Grammy awards.  Nicki Minaj didn’t need to say anything in order to call us to respond.  Some are offended, others are making Internet memes, and still others are simply talking about what a mistake it was.

People want to criticize and gossip about Minaj’s wardrobe and choice of date, and that is most likely exactly what she wanted!  If it was all a publicity stunt, she certainly succeeded.  Nicki Minaj was clever enough to realize that a little bit of shock and controversy was rhetorically the right move to boost to star-status. 

4 comments:

  1. I knew I should've watched the Grammys -- I can't believe I missed this entrance. You're right, she was clearly trying to say something -- but what? Little Red Riding Hood & the Pope? I guess I'll just continue to never understand Nicki Minaj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understand celebrities. Am I correct in assuming she's a musician? You kids and your mainstream music continue to mystify me. Although if you're gonna do something crazy and controversial, the Grammy's are the place to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch the Grammy's either. Now that I am seeing this picture, I will probably talk about it with a friend later on. I agree with you, this stunt, led her to get talked about than anyone else just because of her outfit choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps shock is an exigence unto itself. It calls for a response from the viewers, even if that response is confusion and head-scratching.

    (I'm confused and scratching my head!)

    ReplyDelete